Last updated on June 15th, 2021 at 03:29 am.
Becoming the master of chaos has never been easier. Hundreds of cables, many pieces of electrical gear – hell no! A label maker is a must for a busy electrician.
Top-notch label makers are a pleasure to use. These are durable tools, the quality of the labels is excellent, and surely you will be pleased with the LCD screen.
You don’t need to spend on a device that prints slower than an Amish vehicle, the prints will fade rapidly, and we won’t even mention the short battery life.
To help you find the perfect label maker, we’ve reviewed the Best Label Makers For Electricians in 2021.
Fear no more! After reading our review, you’ll be able to buy one of the best electricians label makers available.
|Brother P-touch Label Maker, PC-Connectable Labeler, PTD600, Color Display, High-Resolution PC...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sanford Brands 1756589 RHINO 5200 Label Printer Kit|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brother P-touch, PTD210, Easy-to-Use Label Maker, One-Touch Keys, Multiple Font Styles, 27...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|DYMO Label Maker LabelManager 160 Portable Label Maker, Easy-to-Use, One-Touch Smart Keys, QWERTY...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brady BMP21-PLUS Handheld Label Printer with Rubber Bumpers, Multi-Line Print, 6 to 40 Point Font|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|DYMO Rhino 4200 Label Maker (1801611)|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Table of Contents
Top 6 Best Label Makers for Electricians
Brother PTD600 P-touch Label Maker
- Smart compact design with large keyboard and convenient top loading tape design
- Full color, high resolution display with backlight
- Create labels using the wide easy type keyboard or connect to a PC or MAC for additional functionality
Our best overall choice is the Brother PTD600 label maker, one of the top-notch devices available on the market. Its plethora of feature and reasonable price make it the favourite of many electricians.
The strongest point of this label maker is its reliability. PTD600 puts up with many jobs without breaking. Also, the model is compatible with TZe tape that is water-resistant.
Another great feature of the PTD600 label maker is the colour display which is also backlit. You can see in the dark thus eliminating the need for additional light sources. The large keyboard is also a plus.
You can even connect the Brother PTD600 label maker to a computer so that you can create more detailed labels that would sometimes be difficult to create with the device’s keyboard.
The PTD600 can be powered by either 6 AA batteries, or you can connect it to an AC adapter so that you can use it without wasting batteries.
A drawback of the PTD600 label maker is the selection of pictograms. Unfortunately, the device lacks electrician-specific icons and this may be inconvenient to professional electricians.
However, despite the fact that PTD600 was not specifically designed for electricians, it remains an excellent choice for non-industrial use. Moreover, the device comes with a 2-year warranty so it will be replaced if damaged. We highly recommend it.CHECK PRICE
- Uses TZe water-resistant tape
- Backlit and color display
- Works with different power sources
- Can be connected to PC with included USB cable
- 2 year limited warranty and free phone support
- Not designed for industrial use
- Lack of electrician-specific icons
DYMO RhinoPRO 5200 Industrial Label Maker
- GREAT FOR ASSET MANAGEMENT: Print Code 39 and Code 128 bar codes on 3/4" (19mm) wide labels
- INDUSTRY COMPLIANT: Meet key ANSI and TIA/EIA-606-A industry labeling standards
- TIME-SAVING FEATURES: Exclusive, one-touch “Hot Keys” to automatically size, space, and format label text for electrical and patch panels, terminal and 110 blocks, wire and cable flags, horizontal and vertical wraps, and fixed-length applications
As a premium choice, we’ve reviewed the DYMO RhinoPRO 5200 Industrial Label Maker, a model packed with awesome features.
With the DYMO label maker, you can make anything ranging from a label for electrical panels to cable flags. There are also options for vertical and horizontal wraps. Moreover, the RhinoPro 5200 prints out labels faster than other models.
Its backlit display helps you work in all lighting conditions while the rechargeable battery will not fail you anytime soon.
RhinoPRO 5200 works with DYMO industrial labels, which are more durable than others. The model includes two rolls of labels.
Electricians can safely use the DYMO RhinoPRO 5200 label maker on any job site as it comes with a hard case that will protect the device from scratches and impacts.
Despite its higher price, the RhinoPro 5200 label maker is the best choice as an industrial cable label maker. Give this device a chance as it will surely not disappoint you.CHECK PRICE
- Best industrial label maker
- Swift printing time
- Easy to use due to hotkeys
- Includes two rolls DYMO industrial labels
- Rechargeable battery
- Pricier than other models
Brother PTD210 P-touch Label Maker
- Quick access to fonts, frames, symbols and more
- Prints up to 2-lines on labels up to 12 millimeter wide
- 14 fonts, 97 frames, and more than 600 symbols
The best label maker for those on a tight budget is the PTD210 model from Brother. This affordable device did not sacrifice functionality for the price thus being one of the best models for beginners.
Its compact and lightweight design makes it perfect for carrying it around in a large pocket. The one-touch keys also make it easy to use.
Compatible with a variety of tapes, the PTD210 helps you create different types of labels such as extra-strength, acid-free, and many more. The TZe laminated tapes are water-resistant so you won’t have to worry about humidity.
The quick-access memory bank keeps track of up to 30 labels thus eliminating the need to recreate them each time. However, this model has a maximum of two print lines per label.
Similar to other label makers from Brother, PTD210 is compatible with an optional AC adaptor for desktop use or 6 AA batteries for use on the go.
Despite the fact that the Brother PTD210 label maker was not designed for industrial use, it remains a valid option for labelling wires and cables. What can we say? This is a good bargain that will not empty your pocket.CHECK PRICE
- Compact and lightweight design
- Features quick-access memory
- Incluedes one-touch keys for easy access
- Capability to preview the label before printing
- More reliable than other budget models
- Not for industrial use
- Only two print lines for each label
DYMO LabelManager 160 Label Maker
- Form Factor: Print Only
- Printer Output: Monochrome
- Connectivity Technology: Wi-Fi
Our next choice is the DYMO LabelManager 160, an affordable label maker with a compact and lightweight design. The device features over 20 formatting options, and you can use over 200 symbols.
DYMO LabelManager 160 has a keyboard that is a little more compact than on other models. It also features a standard QWERTY layout bordered by fast formatting keys.
This label maker runs on six AA batteries but it is also compatible with AC adapters. Its automatic shutoff feature helps to preserve battery life.
LabelManager 160 model works with high-quality tape rolls that easily attach to nearly any surface.
However, you need to enter a separate menu to access symbols, and this can get tiring. The label maker can also only remember one label at a time.
Despite the mentioned flaws, LabelManager 160 remains a great choice due to its affordable price and the nice included features. This is definitely a “maybe” when looking for reliable label makers.CHECK PRICE
- Features over 20 formatting options
- Includes fast formatting keys
- Also works with AC adapter
- Only remembers one label
- Distinct symbols menu
Brady BMP21-PLUS Handheld Label Maker
- Handheld printer with keyboard creates multi line labels for clear identification of wires, panels, circuit boards, and other industrial items, and has a tough exterior with molded rubber bumpers for impact resistance
- Keyboard contains letters A to Z and numbers 0 to 9, and the text displays on the LCD screen as it is typed
- Text prints in a single color and in 6 font sizes (6 to 40 point)
The next entry on our list is a pricier model, the Brady BMP21-PLUS label maker. The high price point is justified by the sturdy design that can resist any harsh working environments. Its features are also pretty cool.
BMP21-PLUS offer six font sizes, ranging from 6 to 40 point, while the text is displayed on its LCD display. This way, you won’t be surprised when printing the labels.
The tape used by this label maker has a hardy adhesive, chemical resistant, that ensures your labels can be attached to any surface. Moreover, the label maker supports continuous labels, meaning you can create labels of different width, up to a maximum of 0.75 inches.
Another interesting trait of this model is the inclusion of a label grabber that will help you use the device with one hand.
As a drawback of this model, we must nominate the ABC keyboard instead of a QWERTY one. This makes it harder to type with.
BMP21-PLUS works with six AA batteries. However, you can also purchase a rechargeable lithium-ion cell separately.
Overall, the Brady BMP21-PLUS label maker is a cool addition to any electrician’s toolbox. Investing in this device will not make you regret it.CHECK PRICE
- Robust construction
- Continuous labels function
- Includes a label grabber
- Multi-line printing
- ABC keyboard instead of QWERTY
- Too expensive
DYMO Rhino 4200 Label Maker
- FAST TYPING: Easily enter text with a familiar computer-style, QWERTY, keyboard
- TIME-SAVING FEATURES: Uses convenient one-touch “Hot Keys” to access shortcuts for creating and formatting wire/cable wraps, flags, Code 39 and Code 128 bar codes, fixed-length, general, and breaker labels
- CONVENIENT MEMORY RECALL: Quickly access your most commonly used labels, symbols and terms with the “Favorites” key
The last model we’ve reviewed is DYMO Rhyno 4200, a device that packs a series of features that make it fit for industrial use.
Rhino 4200 has a robust build, including external rubber bumpers and a hard plastic shell. Although it appears to be heavy and uncomfortable to use, this model is lighter than expected.
What we especially liked about this machine is the inclusion of hotkeys precisely designed for electricians. It includes presets like Breaker, Code 39 bar codes, or Wire/Cable. Creating labels has never been faster. Moreover, the favourites button allows you to access the frequently used labels
The DYMO’s industrial labels are far more durable than other types of tapes so you won’t have to worry about the labels getting damaged.
Rhino 4200 has a QWERTY keyboard but, unfortunately, the symbols are under a separate menu. The label cutter is hard to use due to its position.
However, despite these flaws, DYMO’s Rhino 4200 label maker is a great acquisition for any electrician. Sturdy and highly performant, this device is a “must-have” on any industrial worksite.CHECK PRICE
- Sturdy and lightweight design
- Has a QWERTY keyboard
- Includes hotkeys
- Works with DYMO industrial labels
- Hard to use label cutter
- Symbols under a separate menu