Last updated on June 1st, 2021 at 08:50 am.
Do you want to save money on your energy bill?
A light timer is a simple way to do it. They’re easy to install, and they can be programmed with manual or automatic settings so that you never have to worry about forgetting them.
However, a light switch timer that doesn’t follow the sun or has a flimsy build and a dim display is a frustrating waste of time and money.
So to help you find a quality light switch timer—we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Light Switch Timers of 2022.
Buy with the confidence that you’re getting one of the tp[ light switch timers on the market.
Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
|Intermatic ST01K Astronomic Digital In-Wall Timer|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Honeywell Home RPLS740B ECONOswitch 7-Day Solar Programmable Switch, Lights and Motors, Indoor...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Leviton VPT24-1PZ Vizia 24-Hour Programmable Indoor Timer with Astronomical Clock|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Defiant 20-amp 7-day 7-event In-wall Digital Timer|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|ENERLITES - HET01-C-W Programmable Digital Timer Switch for Lights, Fans, Motors, 7-Day 18 ON/OFF...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Table of Contents
Top 5 Best Light Switch Timers
Intermatic Astronomic Digital Light Timer
- Controls LED and CFL lights
- 24-hour or 7-day digital timer with up to 20 ON/OFF events
- Astronomic feature, random feature, auto daylight saving time adjustment
Our unanimous decision lists as the best overall product the Intermatic Digital Light Times, a model that can be easily installed in both commercial and residential areas.
This model with 15 amp lighting control has no neutral wire connection so it can be easily installed and retrofit. similar to Intermatic’s outdoor light switch timer, this model is also capable of controlling both LED and CFL lights.
It allows you to program up to 40 ON/OFF events, while the Astronomic feature lets you set ON and OFF specific times based on the geographic dawn and dusk patterns.
Another cool functionality is the DST feature that syncs throughout the season thus eliminating the manual intervention. As a plus, the battery does not use the house power meaning that you will not lose settings during power outages.
The large LCD screen displays the load status, mode, and time of the day. Although the manual instructions might seem hard to follow, the installation of the device is pretty straightforward.
To summarize, if you need a device with many useful functionalities at an affordable price, go for the Intermatic Astronomic Digital light switch timer.CHECK PRICE
- No neutral wiring needed
- Controls CFL and LED lights
- Allows programming of up to 40 ON/OFF events
- Astronomic function
- Large LCD Display
- Wall plate not included
Honeywell Programmable Light Switch Timer
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR LIGHTS - Add convenience and customization to your home with the Honeywell Home ECONOSwitch 7-Day Solar Programmable Light Switch
- HELPS SAVE ON YOUR ENERGY BILL - Scheduled programming allows the Econoswitch to turn your home lights and motors on and off automatically, helping you save both time and energy
- CONTROL MULTIPLE DEVICES - Schedule your motor-operated appliances such as ceiling fans, bathroom fans, pond pumps, and pool pumps in addition to all your home lighting (one switch per home installation). 1800W, ¾ HP on 120v
If you are one of those willing to spend on the latest gadgets, the Honeywell Programmer Light Switch Timer is the best choice. We choose it as our premium product on our list.
The timer features scheduled programming and Solar Time Table function that help you saving money on the energy bills. But how does this work?
This Honeywell timer has 7 different programs and each one of them can be repeated throughout the week. The device will turn on and off the lights automatically thus you will save money and energy.
Its Solar Time Table correctly calculates the sunrise and the sunset all over the year based on the longitude and latitude of your home. The device will turn on the light when needed so you will no longer waste money.
Featuring a user-friendly interface, the Honeywell timer is easy to install and program even for non-technical users. You can easily set up your preferences.
Despite the higher price, the Honeywell Programmable Light Switch Timer offers a bunch of features that make it worthwhile. If budget is not an issue, we highly recommend this product.CHECK PRICE
- User-friendly interface
- 7 ON/OFF Schedules
- Solar Time Table function
- Works with both CFL and LED bulbs
- Easy to install
- On/Off holiday away sometimes fails
- Programming options are limited
Leviton Programmable Light Timer with Astronomical Clock
- CONVENIENT – Automate interior/exterior lights and more
- ENERGY SAVING – Reduce energy consumption and extend bulb life
- FLEXIBLE- Program up to 49 on/off event settings per day
When speaking of great performance and affordability, the first product that comes to our mind is the Leviton Programmable Light timer with Astronomical Clock.
Featuring a professional mode that lets you program 50 ON/OFF settings each day, this timer gives you the possibility to set the lighting based on all days, weekends, or a combination of days.
The Astronomical Clock function allows you to set up the device based on Daylight savings and the local sunset and sunrise times.
This programmable light switch timer boasts a large backlit screen that displays its settings. You can easily keep track of the settings at a glance.
In case you are afraid that a power outage might mess up your settings, you can rest assured. The Leviton timer has a built-in battery that helps to keep the programming during the power surges.
What more can you ask for? Ah, the timer comes in three different colour options so you can include it in any design. As a plus, the manufacturer offers a 5-years limited warranty. Great deal, right?CHECK PRICE
- Offers up to 50 ON/OFF setups
- Astronomical Clock feature
- Comes in 3 different colors
- Large backlit screen
- Versatile - can be used for different applications
- Hard-to-follow instructions
- Battery can't be removed and replaced
Enerlites Digital Programmable Timer Light Switch
- Programming Convenience: Set schedules to control your indoor and outdoor lights, fans, sprinklers, and motors to turn on and off automatically at the present time.
- 18 Timer Options - Create 18 different on/off timer settings and let HET01-C wall timer do the rest. Timer cover can be pressed to manually turn lights on and off.
- Backup Battery: In case of power outage, the built in Ni-MH battery secures preprogrammed timer settings. RCL feature can be used to recall your last setting.
The next product we would like to recommend is the Enerlites Programmable Timer Light Switch, a device that gives you the possibility to program up to 18 ON/OFF settings.
Used for controlling both indoor and outdoor lights, this light switch timer is easy to install and program. However, the package does not include a wall plate and a neural wire is required.
The Enerlites Digital Programmable Timer Light Switch works with CFL, LED, and most types of light bulbs. Moreover, the device is capable to control motors such as the fountain, waterfall, or pond pumps.
In case of power outages, the built-in Ni-MH battery retains the settings while the RCL function recalls the last used program.
Although the Enerlites Programmable timer Light Switch does not feature impressive features, it remains a valid option. It’s one of those cases of “set it and forget about it”.CHECK PRICE
- 18 ON/OFF programs
- Easy to install
- Works with all types of light bulbs
- Controls lighting but also motors
- Incomplete instructions
- No backlit display
Defiant 20-Amp In-Wall Digital Timer
- Programmable to the minute
- Single-pole or 3-way
- 125 Volt, 60Hz, 20 Amps resistive, 15 Amps tungsten, 16 Amps
The last product on our list is the Defiant 20-Amp In-Wall Digital Timer, a device that boasts a versatile design and offers you control of both outdoor and indoor lights.
It has 125-volt protection, 15 amps tungsten, and 20 resistive amps. Also, this light switch timer gives you the possibility to program it to the minute.
A nice feature is the random vacancy security setting that helps to keep your home safe when you’re away. Moreover, this timer provides sunrise and sunset times.
Despite the fact that you need some electrical knowledge if you decide to install it yourself, the Defiant digital timer works great after installation. Make sure you install an alternate switch in one of the traveller’s circuits in case you want to enable the 3-way switching.
This product is a valid option that will not empty your pockets. So what if you need electrical knowledge? Learning new stuff is always a good thing.CHECK PRICE
- Works for both indoor and outdoor lighting
- Random vacancy security function
- Provides sun up and sun down times
- Programmable to the minute
- Hard to program
- Faint display screen