Last updated on April 27th, 2021 at 05:56 am.
When thinking of a hard-working electrician, the first image that comes to our minds is of a man holding a hammer drill.
Unless you’re superman—you’ll need a good hammer drill to smash through concrete and other hard surfaces.
Using a bad hammer drill is a special slice of hell – it does not penetrate the concrete and you can feel it overheating. But, if you are really “lucky”, the batteries will drain before even scratching the concrete. Hell, no!
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Drills for Electricians of 2021.
Buy with confidence that you are purchasing the best hammer drill available. Let’s get straight into the reviews.
|DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill, Brushless, 3-Speed, Tool Only (DCD996B)|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|BOSCH PS130-2A 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Ultra-Compact Hammer Drill/Driver Kit, 3/8-Inch , Blue|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Makita XPH12Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2" Hammer Driver-Drill, Tool Only|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ridgid R86116 18V Lithium Ion Cordless Brushless Compact Hammer Drill w/ 100-Setting Micro Clutch...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Huepar 20V Brushless Cordless SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer Drill, 3 Modes Hammer Drills for Concrete...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Table of Contents
Top 6 Best Cordless Drills for Electricians
Dewalt Cordless Hammer Drill
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- The cordless hammer drill features heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
The best overall hammer drill in our review is the DeWalt DCD996B model produced by one of the major players on the market, DeWalt. This tool delivers all the features you need for a reasonable price.
DeWalt this hammer drill boasts a high-performance transmission that improves the tool’s efficiency and allows for faster speeds. Its brushless motor delivers 50% power savings. Thanks to the impressive output of up to 250BPM and 2250 RPM, you can drill through the toughest materials.
DeWalt is one of the most powerful drills in this price range due to its power output of 820 UWO (Units Watts Out). Moreover, the chuck on this drill features carbide inserts that help it grip the bit tightly.
Featuring three fully reversible speeds, this hammer drill is very versatile. It even includes a three-mode LED flashlight that allows you to work in darkened places. The spotlight mode of the LED lights a larger space so that your fellow co-workers can also see what they’re doing.
A small downside of the product is that it doesn’t come with a battery but it is compatible with DeWalt’s 20V Max batteries. Nevertheless, this hammer drill is well made, just like any DeWalt tool.
To conclude, if you want a reliable hammer drill that delivers great value for money, DeWalt DCD996B is your weapon of choice.CHECK PRICE
- Impressive output
- Great battery life
- 3 Mode LED flashlight
- Features a heavy-duty chuck
- No battery included
Bosch Cordless Hammer Drill
- Most Compact - Shortest head length and smallest height, Lightest Weight - only 2.3 lbs
- Shortest head length in class - better balance and control of tool for perfect working in tight areas
- 2 Speeds - Optimized torque and screw driving and speed for drilling, 3/8 inch auto chuck - convienient clamping of drills and bits
Our premium choice is the Bosch PS130-2A hammer drill, a tool that boasts a compact and lightweight design. In fact, this is one of the lightest drills in its class. Due to its size, this hammer drill is perfect for working in tight places where full-sized drills are difficult to use.
The drill comes with two 12V Max Lithium-ion batteries and a 60-minute charger. It also includes a gauge that displays the battery usage so you would know when the battery requires re-charging. You can swap out the batteries without interrupting work.
Bosch hammer drill also features 2 speeds and 20 clutch settings, which allow you to adjust its performance based on the project you are working on. There is also an LED that gives you visibility even in the darkest areas so you won’t be needing additional light sources.
Bosch nailed it again! This hammer drill, despite its high price tag, is the perfect choice for electricians. Comfortable and lightweight, you won’t get tired of using this awesome tool.CHECK PRICE
- Compact and lightweight design
- Two 12V Li-ion batteries included
- Improved ergonomics
- Gauge for battery management
- Less powerful than full-sized models
Makita Cordless Hammer Drill
- BL Brushless motor delivers 530 in.Lbs. Of max torque
- Efficient BL Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- The BL Brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
For the electricians on a budget, we included a reliable cordless hammer drill, the Makita XPH12Z model. A compact and easy-to-use tool, this ammer drill fits perfectly in tight places. It weighs 3.4 pounds with the battery installed.
Featuring a good 4-pole brushless electric motor, the Makita drill is capable of up to 480 in-lbs of torque. Its transmission has two speeds: one up to 600 RPM and the second one of up to 1900 RPM.
Also, the Makita hammer drill is built to last, its gears are fully metal. Moreover, it features a rubberized grip that reduces vibrations.
If you consider the dual LEDs that help you work in darkened areas, you surely have a great hammer drill to work on your projects. As a drawback, we would nominate the lower output which is not very helpful when it comes to harder surfaces.
Nevertheless, this is an affordable hammer drill that won’t disappoint you. And if you still have doubts, Makita offers a three-year manufacturer warranty for this hammer drill. If they trust this product, why wouldn’t you?CHECK PRICE
- Compact and lightweight design
- Includes double LED
- 3-year warranty
- Power output could be higher
Huepar Cordless Hammer Drill
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE EC BRUSHLESS MOTOR: The EC brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the motor to run cooler and efficiently. Meanwhile, the EC motor is compact, dust-protected, lightweight, absolutely maintenance-free and durable. The high-performance motor enables the rotary hammer to deliver up to 0-1000 RPM, 0-4600 BPM and 2.2J of impact energy, making it easy to drill in hard materials like concrete and more efficient for users.
- DURABLE LITHIUM-ION BATTERY INCLUDED: This rotary hammer contains a 4.0Ah large-capacity lithium-ion battery pack, featuring Cell Protection to protect against overloading, over-discharging and over-heating. Without the hassle of cables, it can offer unlimited freedom of movement. The high-performance battery provides huge power and maximum run time, supporting the tool to punch holes for about 110 times (6x40mm in concrete) per full charge. (Charger also included)
- MULTI-FUNCTIONS & SDS-PLUS CHUCK: The hammer drill has 3 modes for rotation plus hammering, hammering only, rotation only. It also features an innovative chisel adjustment option, which is used to manipulate the bit to the optimum angle. And the one-touch sliding chuck for SDS-Plus bits is used for quick and easy bit removal and installation. The rotary hammer meets the requirements of more working conditions, such as anchoring in concrete, drilling in masonry, core cutting, chiseling, etc.
Our next pick is the Huepar cordless rotary hammer drill, a high-end model that includes some great features. Its designers had comfort and versatility in their minds so the final result is a tool capable of an impressive 2.2J of impact force.
Although its brushless motor is capable of only 1000 RPM at maximum speed, this drill runs efficiently and won’t overheat, even with moderately heavy use. Moreover, on a single charge, the Huepar hammer drill can punch up to 110 holes in concrete surfaces. A battery is included so you won’t have to purchase one separately.
Including a one-touch chuck, it makes the install or replacement of bits a breeze. And this is why this power drill is an excellent choice for beginners. The inclusion of a torque limiting clutch will detach the gears if the bit gets stuck, preventing potential damage to the gears themselves.
The drill allows you to toggle between rotation, hammering, or both, thus being one of the most versatile tools on the market.
Overall, this is a great tool for drilling in masonry, cutting surfaces, or chiseling. If you are not on a tight budget, you should definitely check this out.CHECK PRICE
- Vibration reduction
- Includes a 12V Li-ion battery and a charger
- Easy replacement of bits
- Performance could be better
- Not very reliable
Milwaukee Cordless Hammer Drill
Milwaukee’s cordless hammer drill is another low-range price tool. Built to last, this hammer drill comes with a bunch of features that make it a valid option for those on a budget.
Using a 4-pole motor, this drill can produce 500 in-lbs of torque, and it features a maximum speed of 1800 RPM. Also, it delivers two speeds, with the first ranging between 0 and 400 RPM, and the second ranging between 0 and 1800 RPM.
Similar to other models, this hammer drill includes an LED built-in, making it easier to work in dark work sites. And its metal gear case improves durability and impact resistance.
One of the cool features of this model is the REDLINK compatibility that helps you keep track of the tool’s performance while it is used. You will know if anything goes wrong and you will be able to prevent overheating or other damage.
As a drawback of the Milwaukee drill, we need to mention the fact that it drains battery power faster than desired. Also, since this is a compact model, it had to give up some power.
To summarize, Milwaukee offers a good and useful hammer drill, especially for those on a tight budget.CHECK PRICE
- REDLINK feature
- Metal gear for enhanced durability
- Made in USA
- Build quality could be better
- Battery power drained too fast
Ridgid Cordless Hammer Drill
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH: With over 100 possible positions, you can tighten the clutch to produce the exact amount of torque needed for the job
- BRUSHLESS MOTOR: This tool’s brushless motor helps it run faster and last longer than its brushed counterparts
- LED LIGHTING: Keep your work illuminated with the independently activated LEDs on the front of the tool
Our last hammer drill reviewed is the Rigid hammer drill, a tool that offers an impressive performance of up to 27 300 BPM, and it has a maximum RPM of 2100. Including a brushless motor, this drill is perfect for longer jobs as you can continue piercing walls even after the battery dies.
Although the Rigid hammer drill is a little expensive, it comes with a series of awesome features. For example, it includes a fully-adjustable clutch with over 100 positions, giving you nearly full control over the drill’s torque output.
Moreover, this hammer drill comes with an additional handle so either right or left-handed, you can safely use the tool. Its rubberized grip will prevent your hands from getting tired.
Similar to other drills, this model comes with a useful LED light so you won’t have issues working in darkened areas.
As a downside of the Rigid hammer drill, we should mention the fact that this model is bulkier than others, making it hard to use in tight places. Nevertheless, for an electrician working on large and long projects, this drill remains a valid option.CHECK PRICE
- Impressive performance of up to 27 300 BPM
- Features 100 clutch positions
- Ergonomic design
- Expensive tool
- Bulkier than other models