Last updated on July 30th, 2023.
Are you looking for a new multimeter?
The best multimeters will give you the readings you need quickly and accurately.
While a cheap, badly made multimeter will only give you a bad headache.
So to help you separate the good from the junk—we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Multimeters of 2023.
Let’s dive right into the reviews.
|Fluke 117 Digital Multimeter, Non-Contact AC Voltage Detection, Measures...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Fluke 87V Industrial Digital Multimeter, For Advanced Troubleshooting, Measures 1000 V AC/DC,...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Klein Tools MM400 Multimeter, Digital Auto Ranging, AC/DC Voltage, Current, Capacitance,...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Greenlee - Dmm, 600V Ac/Dc, 10A, Cap,Temp, Elec Test Instruments (DM-45), Black|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tekpower Mastech MS8268 Digital AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter Meter|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Extech EX330 Autoranging Mini Multimeter with NCV and Type K Temperature, orange and green|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Top 6 Best Multimeters
Fluke 117 Electricians True RMS Multimeter
- VoltAlert technology for non-contact voltage detection
- AutoVolt automatic AC/DC voltage selection. DC millivolts - Range : 600.0 mV, Resolution : 0.1 mV
- Low input impedance: helps prevent false readings due to ghost voltage
The Fluke 117 multimeter is the work of art that electricians have been waiting for. Its tagline, “Ideal Multimeter,” couldn’t be more accurate. However, I was initially skeptical about this company’s claim – every company thinks their product is best!
But while you may think your multimeter suits you just fine too, it could never compare to how well-designed and user-friendly a FLUKE device will make your life as an electrical engineer in the field much easier.”
If you’re in the market for a digital multimeter, then Fluke has made an excellent choice with their new model. It’s got all the bells and whistles that any professional electrician will need to do his or her job properly.
The crystal clear LCD is easy to read from multiple angles, even when it’s dark, because of its LED backlight status indicator light on top of each digit, making reading measurements much easier!
Its CAT III safety rating means your worksite can be exposed to dangerous voltage levels without fear so long as this meter is being used!
And don’t forget about True RMS accuracy-a feature not found in many meters these days since no other type of measurement than DC provides accurate readings (which AC does).
Not many other devices can claim to be backed by a 3-year warranty, and Fluke proves their commitment to this generous offer.
Here’s a list of features that come with the Fluke 117:
- Measures resistance, continuity, frequency, and capacitance
- Features compact, ergonomic design for one-handed operation
- AutoVolt and low input impedance modes to provide faster, more accurate readings
- CAT III 600 V safety rated plus extra safety features
- Provides Min/Max/Average to record signal fluctuations
- Accurate measurements on both AC (Alternating Current) and DC (Direct Current) systems
- A large white LED backlight to improve measurement visibility in poorly lit and low light areas
- A 3-year warranty
- VoltAlert™ technology for fast non-contact AC voltage detection
The one downside to this digital multimeter is that it’s slightly pricier than some of the alternatives.
It really comes down to which budget you have because there are many cheaper models available, such as a Klein Tools MM400 for under $50.
But if you don’t mind spending more money, then the Fluke 117 Multimeter is worth every penny and makes an excellent tool for electricians or electronics technicians!
It’s definitely best suited in those fields, so why risk getting anything less?CHECK PRICE
- Safety Rated CAT III 600 V
- Comes with a non-contact voltage detector
- AutoVolt function
- Clear LCD display with LED backlight
- Accurate readings – gives you the True RMS value
- Not budget friendly
Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter
- Accurate frequency measurements on adjustable speed drives (ASD) due to Fluke-designed low-pass filter
- Captures intermittents as fast as 250 µS with Peak Capture
- Switchable high display resolution allows 6000 to 20,000 counts – lets you see small changes in displayed readings.CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V safety rated
When it comes to an HVAC multimeter – they’re best when you buy quality.
And with the Fluke 87 V Digital Multimeter, there won’t be any disappointment.
Fluke has used a custom-made low pass filter to provide accurate voltage and frequency measurements on Adjustable Speed Drives (ASD) and other electrically noisy equipment. The range of this digital meter is up to 1000 volts AC/DC, which means that if you’re an HVAC technician, then your true RMS measurement will work just fine!
This is a great multimeter that has many features at an affordable price. For example, you don’t have to worry about misplacing and forgetting your own separate one with the built-in thermometer!
The automatic touch hold feature makes it easier for measurements without pressing extra buttons while measuring, which we loved since some of these key functions are only available in more expensive models.
This model also comes with Min/Max/Average mode as well as alerts on variations automatically captured from low ohms readings, so this will be especially helpful if you’re not sure what’s going wrong or how far off things need to get before they’re unsafe to use again.
The Fluke 87-V is the safest digital multimeter we reviewed, with a whole host of added safety features. It has a Category IV safety rating up to 600V and 1000A (Category III) and compliance testing for both ANSI/ISA S82.01 and EN61010-1 standards!
This means that you can use it safely in your lab without having to worry about whether or not it’s rated appropriately–and all at an affordable price point too!
The Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter is the best premium multimeter on the market. It’s absolutely packed with features and made in America, explaining why it comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
All of this qualitative information makes sense when you consider that Fluke knows they have one of the most reliable products on their hands – that’s why they back up every product they sell for life!
If you’re looking for a budget multimeter to use in your home, then the Fluke 117 or Klein MM400 might be a better option. But if you are an HVAC technician or electrician who needs something that will last a lifetime – look no further than the Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter!CHECK PRICE
- Made in the USA
- Can measure up to 1000 V AC and DC
- Lifetime Warranty
- Built-in thermometer
- Accurate voltage and frequency measurements
- Expensive than alternatives (although well worth the cost)
Klein Tools MM400 Auto Ranging Multimeter
- Multimeter measures up to 600V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current and 40 MOhms resistance
- Electrical tester measures temperature, capacitance, frequency, duty-cycle, and test diodes and continuity
- CAT III 600V safety rating
The Klein Tools MM400 is the perfect multimeter for any beginner or experienced electrician, and it’s available at an affordable price. In addition, the all-around features make this device stand out from other models in its category – like a rubber holster that prevents you from dropping your meter during use.
It also automatically sets measurements that save time when conducting repairs or diagnosis on electrical circuits to identify what needs fixing or how much power is running through them.
With so many options already built into one economical package, why look anywhere else?
Klein Tools MM400 Multimeter is the perfect multimeter for electricians, technicians, and engineers.
A large backlit LCD screen makes it easy to use in dark or low-light conditions, with its auto-ranging feature taking readings extremely easily.
Unlike many other digital multi-meters on this price range that do not come with test leads, a thermocouple, an adapter, and batteries, Klein’s comes completely equipped!
This product also measures electrical current up to 10 amps (10 A) and voltages of 600 volts AC/DC, which can carry out resistance tests from 40M Ω while running frequency temperature capacitance continuity duty cycle tests. All wrapped under one nicely-priced package!
Klein has made it very easy to replace the batteries – you only need to remove one screw! So durability isn’t an issue with the MM400.
The tool is built to withstand 3.3 feet drops and withstand frequent usage on a job site while maintaining its CAT III 600V Safety Rating.
Plus, this multimeter for electricians won’t break your bank account either, as they are perfect for those who don’t want high-end features but still require safety in their measurement tools.CHECK PRICE
- Battery indicator and easily accessible battery compartment
- Measures up to 600 V AC/DC Voltage
- Includes with test leads, a thermocouple, adapter and batteries
- Easy to use
- Good value for the money
- Inaccurate RMS voltage
Greenlee Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter
The Greenlee DM-45 Multimeter is not the worst, but it certainly isn’t a good one. This model has some issues worth mentioning as soon as possible so you can avoid them and get on with your day!
Let’s start by looking at the test leads: they suck. They’re too short to be comfortable for any length of time and basically scream “low quality.”
If you end up buying this multimeter, make sure that you also buy extra long replacement test leads because these will break in no time flat without proper care or use.
This product is terrible! Not only does it lack a backlight making it impossible to use at night – but even during the day, you can barely see what’s displayed on the screen.
The three-minute auto-off timer combined with its relatively long startup time will drive anyone insane and make using this device unbearable.
I would not recommend buying this for home or commercial usageCHECK PRICE
- Exchangeable fuses
- Annoying auto-off coupled with a long boot time
- Lacks a proper backlight and is hard to read display
- Low-quality leads and too short for practical use
Mastech MS8268 Digital Auto Ranging Multimeter
- AC/DC 1000V/10A 200KHz 200uF 40Mohm Relative Measurement hFE Diode Check Continuity
- LED / Sound Warning when incorrect banana jacks are used relative to function switch setting
- Auto and Manual Ranging with Relative measurement (all ranges except frequency)
The Mastech MS8268 Multimeter is a great tool for those on a budget. However, while it’s cheaper than many other models out there, the performance of this device can’t compare to more expensive options like the Klein Tools MM400 that provide you with better value for your money (even if they are more costly).
For example, The Mastech digital multimeter has a slower speed and takes longer to get an accurate reading which could add up over time; furthermore, its 15-minute auto shut-off feature may interrupt you in the middle of work!
The Mastech MS8268 is a reliable multimeter for beginners and electronics hobbyists who hunt for a cheap option to get started with.
It’s one of the cheapest around that we know of. However, it still provides accuracy you can depend on while being easy enough to operate without any complex settings or interference from other devices running at once.CHECK PRICE
- Auto ranging feature
- Smart value for the money
- Accurate readings at low voltages
- Reliable for its price point
- Much affordable than the competition
- Doesn't zero-out by itself, it fluctuates around 50-150mV
- Sometimes very slow to get a reading
- 15 minute auto-shutdown
Extech EX330 Auto-Ranging Mini Multimeter
- Built in non-contact AC voltage detector (NCV)
- Transmitter and Receiver snap together for easy storage
- Cat III 600V UL listed
The Extech EX330 is a great pocket multimeter. Its intuitive and easy-to-use buttons and interface make it a good budget option for beginners.
We were big fans of the “Max Hold” function, which allows you to capture your highest reading – even when reaching higher readings each time! The Max Hold also updates every time new information comes in so that there isn’t any confusion.
The Data Hold function freezes the current display, which is great when you need to hold an electric reading while thinking of how best to proceed.
The capacitance option allows for charging a capacitor with a known current and measuring voltage to troubleshoot electrical circuits more effectively.
The EX330 has frequency measurement capabilities from 0-10MHz perfect for diagnosing power issues quickly without all those pesky calculations!
The Extech AC Voltage Detector should be your go-to when testing household electrical systems for voltage levels as it can detect both DC circuits or AC circuits with an LED light and audible tones.
The Extech EX330 is one of the more capable multimeters on this list, and it’s comparable to other options when you consider its price. It may not be at the top, but for beginners looking into a pocket-sized device that’ll still do some heavy lifting regarding voltage measurements, resistance readings, or continuity checks, they should consider this model before making their final purchase decision.CHECK PRICE
- Max Hold and Data Hold function
- Autoranging functionality
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Affordable automotive multimeter – under $50
- Compact multimeter
- Inaccurate RMS voltage
- Much room for improvement on the Display