Last updated on June 27th, 2021 at 10:57 pm.
Are you looking for a non-contact voltage tester?
Voltage testers are essential tools to have on hand when working with electricity. They come in many shapes and sizes, but the best ones will give you both visual and audible feedback when they detect power at your desired range. This will save you time in determining if there really is any power going through those wires or not.
Conversely, a bad voltage tester is a complete waste of time and money.
So to help you separate the good from the junk—we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Non-Contact Voltage Detectors of 2022.
Buy with the confidence that you’re getting one of the best voltage detector pens available. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
|Klein Tools NCVT-2 Voltage Tester, Non-Contact Dual Range Voltage Tester Pen for Standard and Low...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester, Pocket-Sized, Voltage Detection Range 90 V...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sperry Instruments VD6505 Adjustable Non-Contact Voltage Sensor, 12-1000 V AC|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Greenlee GT-12A Non-Contact Voltage Detector|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Southwire 40150N Advanced AC Non Contact Voltage Tester Pen, Dual Range 12-1000VAC/100-1000VAC,...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Table of Contents
Top 6 Best Non Contact Voltage Tester
Klein Tools Voltage Tester
- Voltage Tester automatically detects and indicates low voltage (12-48V AC) and standard voltage (48-1000V AC) allowing broad application
- Non-contact detection of standard voltage in cables, cords, circuit breakers, lighting fixtures, switches, outlets and wires
- Non-contact detection of low voltage in security, entertainment, communications, environmental control, and irrigation systems
This voltage tester has an intuitive design that makes it easy to use, and is also extremely reliable. It stands up well against CAT IV safety ratings with a 1000 Volt limit.
Additionally, this non-contact meter emits audio signals as well as visual indicators of your detected electric current so you can know the severity of each reading before going down in for close inspection! The best part? There’s no need to fumble around in the dark – thanks to its LED bar graph on side.
The flashlight on the Voltage Tester Pen can be used at any time, not just when you’re trying to detect voltage.
With a few handy features like an auto-shutdown function that will help preserve battery life if you forget to turn it off and detection for both low voltage and standard voltages, this model is versatile enough for a wide range of jobs!
If you’re looking for a mix of versatility, high quality and tonnes of extra features – Klein’s Voltage Tester is the right tool for you.
It comes in variants that offer an optional flashlight or laser pointer to make tasks easier, as well as infrared thermometer so it can do more than just test voltage levels!CHECK PRICE
- Safety Rated CAT IV
- Audio and visual display feedback
- Voltage graph
- Includes optional attachments
- Can’t get all extras at once
Fluke Voltage Tester
- Voltbeat technology and continuous self-test - so you always know it is working
- Upon detection, tip glows and beeper sounds
- CAT IV 1000 V for added protection
If you’re okay with spending a little bit extra on your voltage detector, then we recommend going with this non contact voltage tester from Fluke.
In addition to being the most reliable model in its price range, it also comes equipped with new Voltbeat technology that allows for self-testing—meaning if something goes wrong and there is an issue detected by the sensor itself instead of another device like a nearby voltmeter or oscilloscope.
This nifty feature ensures inaccuracy won’t occur as easily while still providing CAT IV protection up 1000 V!
When you want to avoid getting shocked from a live current, this pen will help. This model works quickly and reliably with its two warning mechanisms that tell the user when voltage is present: by emitting an ear-piercing beep, or glowing red for visual indication of high voltage at work.
Thanks to its durable housing and sleek design, it can easily go on busy jobsites without being damaged as well!
The Fluke Non-Contact Voltage Tester is one of the most durable models on our market. Though it comes with a slightly higher price tag, we think this product pays for itself in its resilience and long-term reliability!
If you love all things Fluke – especially their excellent multimeters – then this voltage pen will be your new favorite tool.CHECK PRICE
- Safety Rated CAT IV 1000 V
- Detects through insulation
- Sound and light display on detection
- Continuous self-test
- Slightly expensive option
Sperry Voltage Tester
- DURABLE: Hi-Impact Resistant ABS housing with soft over-molded rubber grips with a compact ergonomic design
- CIRCUIT SENSING: Adjustable Non-Contact sensitivity detects 12-1000V AC and patented battery self-test feature
- AUDIBLE AND VISIBLE INDICATOR: 360° visual and beeping audio Non-Contact Voltage Detection
The Sperry Instruments Voltage Tester is a durable, portable, lightweight and easy to use voltage sensor that can detect the presence of AC Voltage from as low 12 V all the way up 1000V. This device features an adjustable sensitivity dial which means it’s especially useful for detecting smaller voltages. You will know when you detect a voltage because not only will you see flashes in 360 degrees but there are distinct beeps too!
The voltage sensor has some great safety features! The fully insulated probe tip eliminates the risk of contacting live electrical wires. A patented battery check feature ensures that the tester and batteries are operating properly, which can eliminate false-negative readings
Here’s a list of features of Sperry Instrument’s Voltage Sensor:
- Adjustable non-contact sensitivity detects voltage from 12-1000V AC
- Audible and 360-degree flashing visual indication
- Allows for sensitivity adjustments in multiple-wire applications
- Operates from single AAA battery
- Patented battery self-test feature
- Soft grip with a contoured design
- Pocket clip
- CAT III 1000 V Safety Rated
The Sperry voltage sensor is a great buy for anyone on a budget. Not only does it offer all the features you might ask from an investment like this, but with its low price tag there’s no reason not to go ahead and purchase one!CHECK PRICE
- Safety Rated CAT III 1000 V
- Budget friendly
- Compact sized
- Visual and audio display when voltage detected
- Outstandingly durable
- Insufficient detailed instruction booklet
Greenlee Voltage Tester
Greenlee’s commercial electric voltage tester is another one of our favorite products thanks to its expanded versatility when compared to other models in the same price range.
This model features a silent mode that you can use when quiet is needed on the workplace, and also has an automatic shutdown feature which will help conserve battery life for those who are always forgetting their charger at home!
We love this product because it includes helpful design elements such as audible and visual cues if there’s any electricity present- even without output tone of voice or anything else extra like a sounder alarm.
The best part? You don’t have to worry about constantly finding new batteries with these too – just charge up once every few months!
This voltage detector is perfect for those long hours on the job as it’s ultrasonically welded and durable. The battery cover, unlike other models that may require your nails to remove, can come off easily with a little push or pull of one hand!CHECK PRICE
- Safety Rated CAT IV 1000 V
- Silent mode
- Easy to use
- Too expensive for its capabilities
Milwaukee Voltage Tester
- Voltage Detector W/Led Light
- The product is easy to use and easy to handle
- The product is highly durable
This voltage tester pen is perfect for those who are looking to purchase a reliable and easy-to-use tool. This product, made by Milwaukee, features an ergonomic design that makes it easier than competing models on the market. You may be surprised at how well this device can perform when you consider its midrange price point!
This product features a solid construction that will help keep it reliable for at least the next two years. You’ll find that this model even comes equipped with an LED flashlight to assist you in finding power outlets in dark areas.
As you get closer and closer to the voltage source, the unit starts turning red and emits beeps of increasing frequency until they are so fast as to sound like white noise (learn how a non-contact voltage tester works).
The Milwaukee Voltage Tester is the perfect choice for checking your home’s electrical system. It has a simple design which makes it easy to use and provides quick results with accurate measurements every time!CHECK PRICE
- Safety Rated CAT IV 1000 V
- Dependable design
- Sound alerts changes with proximity
- Less extra features
Southwire Voltage Tester
- PEN STYLE non contact electrical tester for easy detection of AC voltage
- AUDIBLE AND VISUAL INDICATION of AC voltage on two ranges:12 to 1000V and 100 to 1000V
- BI-COLOR LED verifies tester is on and range selected, red LED & beeper indicate voltage is detected
Southwire’s non-contact voltage tester pen is designed to withstand the elements. If you need a quality product for work sites outdoors, then this IP67 waterproof model will be just what you’re looking for with its resistance to water infiltration and ability to sustain up six-foot drops without any problems!
Southwire also included their patented dual-range detection on this electrical tester that can go from 12V – 1000V or 100 V –1000v so it meets every user’s needs in most cases.
The Southwire Voltage Tester is a great choice for contractors, electricians, and homeowners. This electrical tester pen features two flashlights that help you locate live sources of voltage in your home or business safely.
Additionally, this ncvt even has an advanced probe tip on the back to get into outlets tight spaces more easily so it’s perfect for any situation where there may be high levels of the current present (i.e., wall sockets). It also comes with IP67 water resistance which makes it incredibly durable!CHECK PRICE
- Safety Rated CAT IV 1000 V
- Dual range detection
- Waterproof Housing
- Unmatched the Fluke & Klein