Last updated on June 27th, 2021 at 10:58 pm.
A quality tone generator and probe kit makes it easy to trace wires and identify unlabelled cables.
The best tone generators produce a clear, audible tone over long distances—ensuring you’ve got the right wire.
Conversely, a poorly made tone generator is an excellent waste of time.
There are loads of really fantastic tone generators out there like Fluke, Ideal, and Extech—which can make finding the perfect choice difficult .
So we’ve made it easy for you—here is our review of the Top 6 Tone Generator And Probe Kits of 2021.
Let’s dive right in.
|Fluke Networks PRO3000F60-KIT Includes Tone Generator & Probe with 60Hz Filter and SmartTone...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ideal Industries 33-866 Test-Tone-Trace VDV Tester Kit Network|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|TEMPO Communications 701K-G Tone and Probe Kit (Legacy Model)|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tracing Probe, Tone and Probe Tracing Kit TONEcube & PROBEplus Kit Klein Tools VDV500-808|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Triplett Fox & Hound Premium Tone and Probe Wire Tracing Kit Generates Multiple Tones with...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Extech 40180 Tone Generator and Amplifier Probe Circuit Finder Kit|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Table of Contents
Best Tone Generator and Probe Kit
Fluke Tone Generator
- Innovative filter technology blocks interference "buzz" that makes tracing difficult, sends loud tone up to 10 miles (16 kilometers) on most cables, easy to hear through drywall, wood, and other enclosures
- Kit includes: Pro3000F filtered probe with 60Hz frequency filter and Pro3000 tone generator, angled bed-of-nails clips for individual pairs, RJ-11 connector for use on telephone jacks and nylon case which attaches to a belt, replacement tip for probe, requires 9V battery not included
- SmartTone technology provides 5 distinct tones for exact pair identification so you can find cables faster on non-active networks
The Pro3000 from Fluke Networks is the perfect tone generator and probe for any busy work environment.
It features SmartTone technology that makes it easier to identify pairs, and its 10-mile range means you can easily trace non-active wiring without worry of interference or diminishment. The toner even comes with a convenient lanyard so your hands are always free!
Durability is one of the main advantages to this tone probe, as it’s built to last for years. The included noise filter makes your life so much easier when working with larger bundles of wire that we can’t imagine ever going back!
It also comes equipped with a feedback feature which you use by shorting pairs of wires momentarily and checking them on the screen afterwards.
The downside? Well, there really isn’t any besides its high price tag – but if durability truly matters to you then investing in this product will be worth every penny.
The Fluke Tone Generator is an excellent product for electricians. It’s easy to use, accurate and reliable with a long battery life that won’t let you down when it counts. The downside: the high price relative to some alternatives!CHECK PRICE
- Easy to use
- Tough housing
- Feedback feature for convenient use
- The tone can generate for ten miles
- More expensive than other brands
Ideal Tone Generator
The Ideal wire toner is a little more expensive than our best overall product, but it offers some extra capabilities for your money. This kit comes with many different connectors that will allow you to test everything from ethernet connections to COAX cables, making it as versatile as possible.
This kit has the ability to find issues in wirings like shorts and reversals by testing just one connection at a time without having to tear down an entire installation process all over again if there are problems once you get inside of walls or ceilings too far away for access otherwise.
With its VDV unit equipped with an LCD screen which displays information about errors and whether or not the wiring passed/failed this tool makes sure that you know what’s going on before moving forward
This portable tone generator is a lot more reliable than many other models, and it can withstand drops without breaking. It comes with all of the attachments needed for residential work, which makes this kit an excellent choice if you’re just starting out in construction or electrical installations. The only downside to this product was that it doesn’t always produce strong signals when used on shielded cables.
But that aside the Ideal Tone Generator is a high-performance premium product and a great choice for those willing to spend a little extra.CHECK PRICE
- Extremely dependable
- Compact and lightweight
- Built tough to withstand drops
- Comes with VDV (33-856), Carrying Case , and Amplifier Probe (62-164)
- Tests twisted pair, telephone cables, and traces coax
- Inaccurate with shielded cables
Greenlee Tone Generator
- Trace wire paths and identify cables in all common wiring systems
- Diagnose common problems in telephone, data, and security wiring
- Check for open or shorted wire pairs and confirm the presence of telephone service
For an affordable option, the Greenlee 701K-G is a high-quality kit that includes everything you need to be successful with your tone tracing.
Features like headset jacks and large speakers make it perfect for electricians who work in loud environments where the sound may get drowned out without them. It can also be used by beginners because of its easy usage design–making it one of our most popular kits!
Other convenient features include LED headlights so you’ll never have trouble seeing what needs attention when working at night or times where there’s no light available, as well as warning bells if any short circuits are detected during use.
The Greenlee 701K-G Tone Generator is a reliable, cost efficient tool for performing polarity and continuity tests. It comes equipped with two replaceable tips: one to probe the tone generator’s output signal on wire or cable; another that sends out an audible beep when it detects 0 VAC (voltage alternating current) from AC live wires.
You can test both single conductor cables as well as twisted pairs using this equipment so you’re not limited by what type of wiring you might come across in your fieldwork environment!
The Greenlee Tone Generator is an excellent budget option, but it’s not as durable and may need to be replaced sooner. It does come with a nice nylon carrying case that you should use for protection!CHECK PRICE
- Includes a rugged, woven nylon carrying case
- Functions with a range of cables
- Can test polarity and continuity
- Large speaker for noisy sorroundings
- Not that tough compared with other brands
Klein Electrical Wire Tracer Tone Generator And Probe Kit
- Trace wire paths and identify cables in common wiring systems
- Amplifier overload LED improves accuracy, warning against misreads
- Auto power-off and low-battery indicators
The Klein Tone Generator is a great option for anyone who needs an inexpensive, reliable tone generator.
The price point on this model is similar to the other options so far and it includes features that make it more user-friendly like five tracing zones and helpful LEDs located along the probe and the output side of tone generator.
For example, there’s even an amplifier overload detector to let you know if there are misreads before they become bigger problems.”
This model comes with a nice padded bag that will keep it from getting damaged during transit. It’s worth mentioning, however, that the kit is already pretty durable on its own and won’t need much protection anyways!
We did run into some difficulties while testing this product which stopped us from awarding it one of our top spots though – namely because Klein decided to use such small batteries in order for the tone generator to be as compact as possible.
This meant we had shorter battery life than other models tested; plus there was more noise picked up by these devices than others too (which can make them difficult or even impossible)CHECK PRICE
- Overload LED amplifier
- Includes padded carry bag
- Featured five tracing tones
- Excessive noise
- Short batter life
Fox and Hound Electrical Wire Tracer Tone Generator And Probe Kit
- Quickly and easily traces various types of cable including electrical wire, twisted pair, LAN cable, multi-conductor cable, telephone cable, alarm cable and more
- Fox 2 is a multi-function Toner that generates multiple tones, performs some basic telephone line tests (loop mA and line polarity), and provides a visual and audible continuity test
- Fox 2 integrates Triplett TrueTrace cadence shift for definite ID of cable or pair within cable
The Fox and Hound Tone Generator from Triplett is one of the more affordable options for anyone who needs a good line tester. This option has great build quality, which is refreshing in cheaper products. It can generate pulse tones as well as warble tones, and it even tests telephone lines with polarity or ringing voltage examinations!
This tone generator can also perform a continuity test, which you can hear and see, making it versatile enough for use in louder environments. The lightweight design of the probe ensures that you can use it all day without having to worry about your arm getting tired, and it even has LED headlights built into it.
The tone generator can also perform a continuity test, which you can hear and see. This makes it versatile enough for use in louder environments. The lightweight design of the probe ensures that you don’t have to worry about your arm getting tired when using it all day long, and LED lights even help with visibility!CHECK PRICE
- Very reliable
- Budget Friendly
- Includes a carry case
- No battery compartment
- Not that durable
Extech Electrical Wire Tracer Tone Generator And Probe Kit
- Non-contact probe audibly identifies selected wire or cable
- Trace phone, computer network and coax cables
- Tone generator is terminated with RJ11 and RJ45 connectors plus alligator clips
The Extech Tone Generator is a great option for those looking to get the most bang out of their buck. Designed with heavy-duty housings, this tone generator can take plenty of abuse and still keep on ticking.
Whether you opt for one continuous or variable frequency tone, this device will have your needs covered! You also have the convenience of adjusting sensitivity levels – which makes it easy to trace any wire quickly without getting shorted by conductors in nearby cables that might affect readings at higher frequencies.
The Extech Tone Generator is a great option for those on a tight budget who just want to get the job done without spending too much money.
One downside of this model, however, is that it can’t be used with an extension cord and doesn’t have additional functionalities like other models in its price range do; but all said and done, if you’re looking for something basic at a low cost then this might be your best bet!CHECK PRICE
- Easy to adjust sensitivity
- Easy to work with
- Extraordinarily durable
- Capacitive tip
- Heavier and bigger than other tone generator and probe kits