Last updated on July 30th, 2023.
Finding cables, wires and breakers can sometimes feel like a frustrating game of hide-and-seek. It is frequently done by trial and error (which is extremely time-consuming and error prone).
The best electrical circuit tracers will quickly identify fuses and breakers, trace wires, and pinpoint opens and shorts with exceptional precision.
To help you separate the good from the bad—we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Electrical Circuit Tracers of 2023.
Buy knowing that you are getting one of the best electrical circuit trackers on the market.
Let’s get straight into the reviews.
|IDEAL INDUSTRIES INC. 61-534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder with Digital Receiver and GFCI...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Greenlee CS-8000 Circuit Seeker for Circuit Tracing with Full-Color Graphical LCD Display|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder, Finds Electrical Circuit Breaker of 120V Standard...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Triplett 3388 Fox & Hound HotWire Live Wire Tone and Probe Wire Tracing Kit with Adjustable...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Fluke 2042 Cable Locator Cable Tester Fluke2042|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Amprobe CT-100 Current Tracer Kit|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Top 6 Best Electrical Circuit Tracers
Ideal Circuit Tracer
- QUICK AND EASY CIRCUIT IDENTIFICATION: No more guessing when locating the correct circuit breaker supplying power to AC outlet or lighting fixture. Positively identifies circuit breakers and fuses without service interruption.
- AUTOMATIC CIRCUIT IDENTIFIER: Proper wiring is crucial to ensure safety and performance of branch circuits. From a safety perspective, shock hazards and fires are mainly due to poor installation or failure of protective devices, such as GFCIs.
- RECEIVER AUTO POWER OFF: Receiver automatically shuts down if not used for 10min. Low battery detection ensures device is always charged and ready to use. If the battery voltage is below 7.3 volts, receiver beeps 3 times and turns off.
The Ideal Circuit Tracer is the first wire tracer on our list. This model’s brand name really fits- it combines excellent build quality with a wide voltage range!
This tool can trace circuits that range from 80 volts up to 300 volts AC and even comes with an automatic circuit identification function for beginner electricians. It also comes bundled with a non-contact voltage tester.
The Ideal Circuit Tracer is a durable product from beginning to end. This non-contact voltage tester allows you to quickly find the correct circuit breaker, offering peace of mind for any professional electrician who needs it most.
The ideal circuits tracer has the excellent build quality and can withstand impacts that would make other products crumble under their weight.
The Ideal Wire Tracer is our favorite, not only because of its durability and price point but also due to the fact that it has a more sensitive sensor. The Greenlee CS 8000 may have features you want like hypersensitivity and easy-to use buttons, but this tracer will work for most people’s needs!CHECK PRICE
- Comes with GFCI receptacle tester
- Bundled with non-contact voltage sensor
- 120 to 240 voltage range
- Warranty for 2 years
- Built Tough and Durable
- A bit pricey compared with other brands, but it is worth it
Greenlee Circuit Tracer
- CIRCUIT LOCATING SEEKER: Advanced patented non-directional sensing technology provides superior sensitivity and functionality for accurate circuit tracing and locating jobs
- SUPERIOR TRACING CAPABILITIES: Traces concealed wiring, locates junction boxes, and finds breakers for live or open circuits and allows linemen to easily locate and identify blown fuses
- USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN: Ergonomic receiver with information-filled, full-color graphical LCD display and low pitch, high volume audible signal make understanding tracing feedback quick and easy
Greenlee’s CS-8000 is an incredibly sensitive circuit tracer that features both a graph and an audible tone to help you find circuits.
When working in the fast lane, just switch it over into auto mode if desired – but for more finite control, go manual!
This tool has about four mile range on its receiver all while being compact enough to fit inside your workbox or bag without issue.
The Greenlee CS 800 is a highly sensitive, extremely durable circuit tracker.
Featuring an automatic backlight and up to six weeks of battery life in transmitter/receiver combo, this model will make your investment worth it for years to come with its lifetime warranty that guarantees you won’t need another one anytime soon!
The Greenlee’s CS-8000 is a fantastic investment for professional electricians who need a large voltage range and high level of accuracy.
This model has some disadvantages such as its higher price point but it should be expected because this unit can do everything you would expect from tone generator, probe kits, and more!CHECK PRICE
- Vast four mile range
- Finds breakers for live or open circuits, traces concealed wiring, and locates junction boxes
- AC or DC Up to 750 V
- Higher-level sensitivity & functionality
- Detailed full-color graphical LCD Ergonomic receiver
- Not recommended for beginner electricians (quite pricey)
Klein Circuit Tracer
- Circuit Breaker Finder can find the corresponding circuit breaker of any 120V standard electrical outlet quickly, accurately, and automatically
- Flashing arrow indicator for easy identification
- Strong transmitter reaches distances up to 1000 feet
This Klein circuit tracer is a low-cost and high quality option for anyone looking to easily trace electrical circuits.
For the lower price you sacrifice some voltage range, but it still works between 90 – 120 volts! The flashing arrow on this unit provides an easy way to identify which wires are being traced while the transmitter can operate at distances of up 1000 ft.
The circuit tracer feature an auto-off function that will automatically shut the device off after a period of time.
Not only does this help you save battery life, but it also prevents damage to your detector from being left on for too long.
In addition, there is a compatible accessory kit available which includes some alligator clips and light socket adaptor so you can use this as more than just one type of equipment!
You won’t have to worry about turning the power off when using this circuit tracer! This makes it a step above other affordable models. There is just one small downside: you can only measure up to 120 volts with it, but overall we thought that Klein Tools Circuit Tracer was great product and gave outstanding value for money.CHECK PRICE
- Flashing arrow indicator for convenient use
- Turn off automatically for better battery life
- Built tough
- Outstanding value for money
- Limited functions from 90 to 120V
Triplett Fox and Hound Circuit Tracer
- Live circuit tracing kit for both 120VAC and 220VAC circuits (250VAC max)
- The versatile Fox HotWire can generate multiple tones (Pulse or Warble), provides a visual and audible continuity test, and integrates Triplett's own TrueTrace and TripLatch tests
- The Hound HotWire is a battery operated handheld lightweight Probe; containing both a thumbwheel sensitivity control and signal strength indicator LED
The Fox and Hound circuit tracer from Triplett is a reliable model that’s equipped with an LED head, making it easy to detect circuits.
It also has some amazing features like the noise filter which eliminates interference in your surroundings when you’re tracing wires. This device can trace cables up to 1000 feet long as well!
You won’t have any problem finding live wire or COAX here because this little gadget does more than just single out one type of cable for detection – it detects them all easily without fail.
This circuit tracer is perfect for residential use, thanks to its voltage range that goes up to 250V on either AC or DC.
The LED headlights equipped help make this product easy-to-use in areas with bad illumination – whether it be poor lighting conditions at night or a dark room during the day!
This model also has built durably housing which can protect sensitive internal components from damage due to moisture exposure.
A few things disappointed us with this product: you may have adjust RF levels before getting good readings and it’s not too cheap given all of the features included (without adjusting any settings).CHECK PRICE
- Designed to resist moisture
- Works up to 250V
- Headlights for convenient use
- Both 120VAC and 220VAC circuits (250VAC max) live circuit tracing kit
- High price, less features than other brands
Fluke 2042 Circuit Tracer
The Fluke Circuit Tracer is an excellent high-end product that comes equipped with a transmitter and receiver. These two items can make your job much easier because the display of both units will show you everything from transmitting level to external voltage.
The range for this circuit tracer goes up to 400 volts, which allows it to work on any electrical system in today’s world! Included in this device is also a built-in lamp so dark areas won’t slow down your ability to get things done as quickly or safely as possible!
The Cat III rating on this model means it’s safer than some of its competitors. The auto-shutoff feature ensures that the product won’t accidentally be left on, which would drain your battery. This is why we didn’t choose to make this our premium choice circuit tester for you–it does have a higher price level without being noticeably superior in any other way.CHECK PRICE
- Can function with live or dead cables
- Vast range up to 400V
- Helpful two displays
- Similar capabilities for a lower price with the Greenlee model
Amprobe Circuit Tracer Kit
The Amprobe Circuit Tracer is a mid-range circuit tracer that can trace breakers and energized wires with no need for power interruption. The LEDs will help you spot the circuits, while there’s also a digital noise filter to make your job easier.
The wide Voltage range means it works from 9V all the way up to 300 volts so whether you’re looking for something lightweight or heavy-duty, this circuit tracker has got what it takes!
This circuit tracer is primarily intended for industrial use, so it’s built tough and it works without causing any interference in the surrounding devices.
These features make this model a must-have for your toolbag! This design also includes a carrying case that can keep everything safe when stored away from home or on site at work.
Sadly, this current model is in a weird middle-ground where it isn’t as capable and affordable as the Greenlee CS 800.
However, Ideal’s product only goes up to 220 V so if you’re looking for wire tracer that can handle more than 220 voltages (Amprobe can go up 300 volts) but aren’t willing to fork out extra money for a greenlee then amprobe should be consideredCHECK PRICE
- Interference free
- Built tough design
- Simple to operate
- Expensive circuit tracer