Last updated on May 6th, 2021 at 02:50 am.
The best diagonal cutters (also known as side cutters or wire cutters) have an excellent cutting force, an angled and ergonomic design, and sit comfortably in your hard.
Low-quality diagonal cutters struggle to slice through even thin pieces of wires, have a short cutting length, and barely last you 18 months of usage (no thanks).
To help you buy a quality set of diagonal cutters—we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Diagonal Cutters of 2022.
Buy with the confidence that you are getting one of the best pairs of dikes on the market. Let’s jump straight into the reviews.
|KNIPEX Tools 74 21 200, 8-Inch High Leverage Angled Diagonal Cutters|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|IRWIN VISE-GRIP Cutting Pliers, 8-Inch, Diagonal (1902413)|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Klein Tools D248-8 Pliers, Diagonal Cutting Multi-Purpose Pliers with Angled Head, High-Leverage...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|CRAFTSMAN Diagonal Cutting Pliers, 8-Inch Compound Action (CMHT81718)|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Wiha 32933 6.3-Inch Insulated Industrial Diagonal Cutter|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Crescent 8" Pro Series Diagonal Compound Action Dual Material Cutting Pliers - PS5429C|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Table of Contents
Top 6 Best Side Cutters
Knipex Diagonal Cutters
- High leverage Diagonal Cutters for very tough, continuous use
- 20% reduction in required force compared to conventional diagonal cutters of the same length
- Precision cutting edges
The best overall product is the set of diagonal cutters offered by Knipex. This is the perfect tool for an electrician that needs to cut wires frequently.
Featuring an angled design, these cutters have a forged axle rivet that makes them extremely durable. The 8 inches long tool has an enhanced cutting precision and boasts a hardness of 64 HRC. Moreover, the metallic components are made out of oil-hardened chrome vanadium steel.
The optimized cutting edge and the advanced transmission ratio reduce the amount of cutting force that needs to be applied when slicing wires. With the help of these cutters, you can even cut through nails.
Knipex diagonal cutters’ ergonomic design makes sure your hands won’t get tired if the tool is used for a long time. A nice surprise is its competitive price – you get the best product for the money.
Knipex offers a high-quality product, a tool that really considers the user. Although this is a heavy little beast, many electricians will keep buying it for its durability. We recommend you get your Knipex diagonal cutters as soon as possible.
- High-leverage axle reduces cutting force requirements by 20%
- Made of oil-hardened chrome vanadium
- Induction-hardened cutting edge
- Ergonomic and angled design
- Difficult to use in tight places due to its weight
- Smaller than other dikes
Irwin Diagonal Cutters
- Powerful pliers for cutting ACSR, nails, screws, piano wire, and more
- PowerSlot technology delivers 2X more power at half the cutting effort than traditional pliers.
- Induction-hardened cutting edges and anti-rust coating for superior performance and a long life
Our premium choice is the set of diagonal cutters made by Irwin Tools. The improved cutting force due to the PowerSlot system and other additional features make this product an excellent option for those willing to spend more.
Induction-hardened cutting edges and the anti-rust coating improve the overall lifespan of the tool. You can rest assured that these pliers will not fail you over time. Moreover, the Irwin dikes can easily slice through nails, ACSR, bolts, or piano wires.
The ergonomic design includes 3-zone comfort grips that make sure the tool can be used ambidextrously without compromising the overall comfort. Irwin diagonal cutters are eight inches long so you can easily carry them around the job sites.
In case you are still pondering whether to spend on these cutters, you should know that the product is backed by the Irwin Lifetime Guarantee – the manufacturer will replace the cutters that fail. What else can you ask for?
- Longer lifespan due to induction-hardening and anti-rust coating
- Great cutting force through PowerSlot technology
- Features an ergonomic design
- Backed by Irwin Lifetime Guarantee
- Slightly heavier than other cutters
- Pricier than other similar models
Klein Tools Diagonal Cutters
- Diagonal Cutters with angled head design for easy work in confined spaces
- High-leverage pliers with rivet closer to the cutting edge for 36-percent greater cutting power than other plier designs
- Short jaws and beveled cutting edges permit close cutting of wire
Electricians that are not willing to spend a fortune on diagonal cutters should consider the Klein Tools multi-purpose cutters. Boasting a simple design, these diagonal cutters are reliable and include basic features.
The angled head allows you to easily work in tight places while the rivet close to the cutting edge offers a 36% increase in cutting force compared to similar products. Also, the induction-hardened cutting edges allow the cutters to slice through hard materials of any sort.
Its hot-riveted joints will prevent the tool from wobbling when you cut through some hard materials. Although the handles are plastic-dipped, the cutters remain durable and reliable. However, if you plan to use the tool for a long time, you may get uncomfortable.
To conclude, if the budget is a big issue for you, feel free to buy the Klein Tools diagonal cutters, an excellent tool, made in the USA.
- Ideal for beginners
- Features induction-hardened cutting edges
- High-leverage rivet axle has 36% greater cutting power than similar models
- Made in USA
- Stiff and hard to open
- Handles get uncomfortable
Crescent Diagonal Cutters
- Crescent PS5429C PRO Series
- 9" crescent pro series diagonal compound action pliers
- Made with co-molded grips for added comfort
Crescent diagonal cutters represent another affordable and reliable option. These cutters are eight inches long but lighter than other models. An amazing feature is the compound leverage system that offers over 50% more cutting power.
The chrome-vanadium construction of these diagonal cutters makes sure they will last for a very long time. Plus, the improved ergonomics that include co-molded large grips made of soft material reduce the stress after extended use.
Crescent pliers are easy to use and the self-opening design is a nice addition. If you want to prevent the dikes to open up on their own, the locking tab will secure the jaws shut.
The only drawback of this product is the build quality. However, many electricians swear by this product so we think you should give it a try. The low price is also something to appreciate so there is nothing to lose.
- Weighs a third of other cutters, perfect for carrying around
- 50% more cutting power
- 30% bigger grips
- Self-opening design
- Not fit for cutting through hard materials
- Low build quality
Craftsman Diagonal Cutters
- INCREASED CUTTING FORCE: Compound action design of diagonal cutting pliers
- COMFORT AND CONTROL: Multi-zone bi-material grips on safety wire pliers
- INDUCTION HARDENED: Cutting edges of CRAFTSMAN pliers stay sharper longer
Craftsman diagonal cutters, despite the affordab1le price, have a bunch of traits that set them apart from other cheap models. The ergonomic design is especially exquisite – special multi-zone grips ensure the utmost comfort and safety.
Another notable aspect of these cutters is that they feature a compound action design, which is meant to help increase the amount of cutting force you can exert.
Made from drop-forged steel and including induction-hardened cutting edges, the Craftsman diagonal pliers are strong and powerful. Slicing through harder wires is no longer an issue.
A drawback of this model is the fact that you have to open it wide to use the compound action feature. However, its comfortable design and increased durability make it a must-have for any electrician.
- Compound action design allows you to apply more force to cut tougher metals
- Very comfortable grips
- Drop-forged steel and induction-hardened edges for increased durability
- Lifetime warranty
- Too stiff, needs both hands to open
- Compound action feature is hard to use
Wiha Insulated Diagonal Cutters
- Hand Tools
- Made by: Wiha Tools
- Country of Manufacturing: Germany
The last product we’ve reviewed is the Wiha insulated diagonal cutters, another comfortable and easy-to-use model. Due to its massive grips that boast a slip guard handle design, you can use the cutters all day long without experiencing fatigue.
Made of forged CV tool steel and including induction-hardened edges, the Wiha diagonal cutters will not fail you anytime soon. The surface features an industrial brushed finish for enhanced durability.
The dynamic and highly performant joints offer a smooth cutting motion while are capable of handling the extra force required when cutting through thicker wires. These joints provide up to 40% easier cuts.
Although the cutters’ small size (6 inches long) gives them lesser leverage, the Wiha product remains an excellent option. This is a compact set of dikes, comfortable and easy to use. It will make a great purchase for any electrician.
- Slip guard handle design
- Made of forged CV tool steel
- Meets all standard specifications for insulated tools
- Dynamic joints provide up to 40% easier cuts
- Size too small
- Poor build quality