Last updated on June 15th, 2021 at 11:30 pm.
There’s no point spending a bunch of money on a great multimeter and then connecting it to a crappy set of test leads.
Low-quality multimeter test leads can be anything from a waste of money to a downright safety hazard.
The best multimeter test leads are well-insulated, durable, well-insulated, and have more than enough length to connect to whatever you need to.
So to help you with your search—we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Multimeter Test Leads of 2021.
Buy with the confidence that you’re getting a quality set of test leads.
Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
|Fluke TL175 Twistguard Test Leads, 2 mm Diameter Probe Tips|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Fluke TL81A Test Lead Set, Deluxe Electronic,Red/Black,Small|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Replacement Test Lead Set, Right Angle Klein Tools 69410|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Proster Copper Banana Plug to Alligator Clip Test Lead 15A 1000V 1m Multimeter Banana Plug...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Amprobe TL36A Test Leads with Alligator Clips, 1000V|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Electrical Multimeter Test Leads Set with Alligator Clips Test Hook Test Probes Lead Professional...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Table of Contents
Top 6 Best Multimeter Test Leads
Fluke TL175 Multimeter Test Leads
- Patented TwistGuard extendable tip shroud meets the highest electrical safety requirements to reduce tip exposure while providing the versatility needed for most measurements
- New WearGuard lead wire wear indication. Each test lead is covered by two layers of silicone insulation; inner contrasting color is exposed when the leads are nicked, scuffed, or otherwise damaged and in need of replacement
- Double insulated silicone leads; TL175 test leads withstand high temperatures and remain flexible in cold temperatures
Our top choice is the fluke TL175 multimeter test leads, a reliable and affordable device that makes the leads a lot more versatile. Featuring the TwistGuard technology, you can extend or retract the tip shroud.
The WearGuard insulation helps you identify at a glance when the leads need replacing. Moreover, the WearGuard wear indicator is an additional safety measure for these leads.
You can work comfortably as the lengths of the leads allows it – 56.5 inches long. If still in doubt, you should know that they were tested to withstand 30 000 bends without failing. Plus, their input plugs work with 4 mm banana plugs.
The Fluke multimeter leads are rated up to 1000 V at CAT III and up to 600 V at CAT IV, and can also be used in a wide range of conditions, as they remain flexible in the cold.
Fluke really stands behind their products thus they offer a one-year warranty for any manufacturer flaws. However, it is unlikely that you will use this warranty. I mean we are talking about the best multimeter test lead available. This high-quality set of leads will not disappoint you.CHECK PRICE
- Features TwistGuard shroud technology
- WearGuard indicator for damage visibility
- 56.5 inches length
- Double insulated silicone leads
- None (seriously, we couldn’t find anything wrong with them!)
Fluke TL81A Multimeter Test Leads Kit
- 3 test leads (red, black, green) connected to low-leakage probes
- 3 alligator clips (red, black, green)
- 2.6m lead length
The premium choice product also comes from Fluke – Fluke TL81A. This is a pricier option but also packed with awesome features and additional accessories.
The kit includes three color-coded test leads and three alligator clips with the same color code. You will also get a set of replacement test leads for a Fluke Megaohmmeter. The whole bunch of items is packed into a nylon pouch that prevents damage.
In terms of sizes, these test leads boast an incredible 102 inches length while the jaw opening on the alligator clips extends up to 26 mm. these leads are really comfortable to work with.
Each of the leads is insulated in silicone, which protects them from physical damage but also stays flexible in the cold and resists damage from higher temperatures. The included single insulated alligator clip is rated up to 5 amps. Moreover, each of the tips on the probes is sharp thus making contact with test points is much easier.
Working with small equipment is also easy due to the micro-grabbers and smaller leads included in the kit. The main issue with this kit is its high price. But, paying extra for so many high-quality pieces is never a bad deal.CHECK PRICE
- Kit includes micro gear
- Multiple leads and alligator clips included in the pack
- 102 inches length
- Increased resistance and flexibility to different temperatures
Klein Tools Multimeter Test Leads
- Standard banana-type inputs compatible with most multimeters and clamp meters
- Removable alligator clips attach to wires and other conductors
- Includes one pair of universal test leads and one set of alligator clips. Leads are 41-Inches (1,041 mm) long
For those on a tight budget, we recommend the set of multimeter test leads from Klein Tools. Its great build quality and performance make this product a good option.
Since this is a budget option, the Klein Tools set of test leads does not include additional accessories. However, you get all you need to get the job done.
41 inches long, these leads give you enough action space while the removable alligator clips allow you to attach the leads. These leads use standard banana inputs.
Safety is another plus of the Klein test leads. Rated up to 1000 V at Cat III and 600 V at Cat IV, these leads are compatible with other Klein products.
The only downside of this set of test leads is the lack of additional accessories that need to be purchased separately. However, considering the high-quality build and the performance offered, the Klein Tools multimeter test leads represent a good and useful acquisition.CHECK PRICE
- High-quality build
- Fairly priced
- Compatible with other Klein equipment
- Safety Rating of Cat III 1000 V and Cat IV 600 V
- No accessories included
Proster Multimeter Test Leads with Alligator Clips
- 【Banana Plug to Alligator Clip】A Pair of Safety Right Angle Banana Plug to Alligator Clip Test Lead Which is 0.8Meters Long for Multimeter
- 【Wire Dia】3.5mm/0.14";Male Banana Plug Pin Dia : 4mm/0.16";Alligator Clip Open Width(Max.) : 9mm/0.75"
- 【Banana Outer Size】5.1 x 1cm/2" x 0.4"(L*D);Alligator Clip Size : 5.1 x 2 x 0.8cm/2" x 0.8" x 0.31"(L*W*T); Total Length : 100cm /3.28ft
The multimeter test leads from Proster are one of the most affordable products. However, despite the low price, they represent an excellent choice.
With a length of 31 inches, these test leads still give you plenty of space to test comfortably. With a weight of only 75 grams, these leads are the lightest product we’ve tested.
The test leads come with high-quality alligator clips that hold securely to anything. Moreover, the jaw opening is up to 9 mm so the bite allows you to correctly connect them.
These test leads are rated for a maximum current of 15 amps. A drawback of these leads is the plastic insulation that gets stiff in the cold. Also, the insulated covers of the alligator clips are difficult to adjust.
However, considering the top-notch construction quality and the useful alligator clips included, the Proster multimeter test leads remain a valid option. Price is also attractive.CHECK PRICE
- Lightweight and easy to use
- High-quality alligator clips
- 9 mm jaw opening for the alligator clips
- Plastic insulation
- Clips' covers difficult to adjust
Amprobe Extra Long Multimeter Test Leads
- Test lead set connects a compatible electrical test meter to a device for testing
- Set includes two lead wires, two threaded test probe tips, and two alligator clips
- 2.67" threaded alligator clips have 0.30" jaw opening and teeth that grip the conductor to provide a more secure, hands-free connection than probe tips
Another reliable and durable product is the Amprobe Extra Long multimeter test leads. This kit includes two lead wires, two alligator clips, and a pair of threaded probe tips.
The length is 48 inches so the name might be considered misleading. However, the quality of the product makes up for this. These multimeter test leads have silicone insulation, meaning they resist temperature changes.
In terms of safety, the Amprobe test leads meet the IEC safety standard 61010 and are certified at Cat III for up to 1000 V.
The included alligator clips are 2.67 inches long and boast a 7.6 mm jaw opening. Attaching the probes to a test point instead of holding them has never been easier. The leads are compatible with regular 4 mm banana plugs.
As a drawback, we must mention the high price. Although they are still affordable, they don’t offer the same features as similar products.
Overall, the Amprobe multimeter test leads are a reliable and affordable set of leads. They are definitely a “maybe” when window shopping for the best test leads.CHECK PRICE
- The kit includes alligator clips
- 2.67-inch alligator clips with 7.6 mm jaw opening
- Silicone insulation resist to temperature changes
- Cat III certified up to 1000 V and IEC 61010
- Features do not justify the price
Handskit Multimeter Test Leads and Accessories
- 【Even higher Copper Core requirements】Contains 42 pure copper-core wires;Easily dealing with currents of 10A and preventing leakage issues from occurring.The nylon wire inside will make it withstand bending thousands of times without breaking or fraying.
- 【More secure and durable silicone string】Constructed with flexible PVC/PA material that is double-layered and -insulated.The silicone used is non-toxic,environment friendly and meets both the UL and RoSH standards.Using high quality materials ensures that the test leads are durable,flexible as well as having properties like freeze resistance and heat tolerance.
- 【Premium test tip and plug】Pure nickel plated copper test lead tips which does not easily break-off,has solid contact traits and speedy and stable measuring reaction times.And the kit will protect it against dust and oxidation.An efficient and stable connection is thus ensured.
The last product we would like to recommend to you is the set of multimeter test leads offered by Handskit. Despite the low price point, these leads bring a nice set of features.
Made out of 42 copper-core wires, these multimeter test leads are engineered to withstand current up to 10 amps and to prevent leakage. The test tips are made of nickel-plated copper and they are very sensitive and durable.
The double-layered material used for making these leads and the silicone insulation are non-toxic and eco friendly. Moreover, this nylon insulation prevents the wires from bending and remains flexible when temperatures go down.
Safety is another important aspect so the Handskit multimeter test leads are certified for CAT II at 1000 V. And since we are talking about standards, these leads also meet the UL and RoHS standards.
The Handskit set of multimeter test leads comes with a bunch of awesome features. Moreover, the kit includes tweezer probes so you can use them with one hand. Build quality is also good so why not giving them a try?CHECK PRICE
- Made out of 42 pure copper-core wires
- Nickel-plated copper test leads tips
- Whitstands currents of 10 A
- Set includes tweezer probes and alligator clips
- Alligator clips are hard to allign
- Less durable compared to competitors