Last updated on July 30th, 2023.
Using a good pair of wire strippers is as smooth as slicing through soft butter with a chef’s knife.
While a bad pair of wire strippers have uncomfortable handgrips and constantly requires you to re-strip wire.
So to help you separate the good from the junk—we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Wire Strippers of 2023.
Buy with the confidence that you’re getting one of the best wire stripping tools on the market.
Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
|Klein Tools 11055 Wire Cutter and Wire Stripper, Stranded Wire Cutter, Solid Wire Cutter, Cuts...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|KNIPEX Automatic Wire Stripper 10-24 AWG|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|IRWIN VISE-GRIP Wire Stripping Tool / Wire Cutter, 8 inch, Cuts 10-22 AWG, ProTouch Grip (2078309)|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|STANLEY Wire Stripper, 6-Inch (STHT74938)|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Milwaukee 48-22-3079 6-In-One Combination Wire Stripping and Reaming Pliers for Electricians|| ||CHECK PRICE|
|Greenlee 1955-SS Stainless Steel Wire Stripper for 10-18 AWG Solid and 12-20 AWG Stranded,...|| ||CHECK PRICE|
Top 6 Best Wire Strippers
Klein Tools Wire Strippers
- VERSATILE WIRE STRIPPER/CUTTER: Cuts, strips, and loops 10-18 AWG Solid and 12-20 AWG Stranded wire, shears screws
- PRECISION STRIPPING: Precision ground stripping holes for accurate and clean cuts
- STRONG-GRIPPING NOSE: Serrated nose grips wire for easy bending, shaping, and pulling
Klein Tools Wire Strippers allow you to cleanly shear, strip, and loop wire. They have a variety of holes for stripping different standard sizes of wire. The curved handles and double-dipped comfort grips are extremely comfortable (I’d expect nothing less from ‘comfort grips’). This helps minimize hand fatigue after a long day on the job!
Klein Tool’s wire strippers really are the best in class, and firmly cement themselves as the best wire strippers on the market. The strong-gripped serrated nose makes it easy to bend, shape, and pull wires of any gauge or specification without damaging them. This tool is a game-changer for anyone who works with electrical wiring!
And best of all—they’re made in the USA.
Klein Tools have outdone themselves again with this wire stripper. The amount that you’re getting for the low price is something to feel in your hands and see online reviews of it to believe.
Klein has a proven track record of producing one or two great electrical circuit tracers at a good price, so we can say confidently that this wire stripper will be worth every penny spent on it. Don’t just take my word for it though – check out how many positive online reviews exist about their product!CHECK PRICE
- Made in the USA
- Cuts, strips and loops 10-18 AWG Solid and 12-20 AWG Stranded wire
- Holes for looping and bending wire
- Cleanly shears 6-32 and 8-32 screws
- Grips only come in blue
Knipex Automatic Wire Strippers
The Knipex Automatic Wire Strippers are an excellent choice for the everyday electrician. They can cut wires that are about 2.5 mm2 thick and have a fiberglass reinforced body, making them sturdy enough to endure heavy-duty tasks!
The self-adjusting feature allows it to work well with any wire size while still being easy on your hands due its automatic nature; you’ll be able to complete projects more efficiently as a result of this time-saving device’s ease of use and speed!”
The Knipex Automatic Wire Stripper is perfect for those who need something durable but also want maximum productivity at their job site.”
Cutting your insulation wire has never been easier! Get the most out of this product with its self-adjustable depth gauge that allows you to remove insulation located at end. The adjustable length stop ranges from 6 mm – 18mm, giving a constant stripping length when doing repetitive work.
You’re paying for quality and durability with these pliers because they have fiberglass housing which makes them incredibly strong and durable while also allowing you to cut aluminum wires up 2.5mm in size – talk about convenience!
With Knipex’s proven track record for making high-quality electrical tools like these, it shouldn’t be hard choosing one if not two pairs today as their products are guaranteed to last long term without any issues or defects occurring
The Knipex Wire Cutters are a great choice for professionals who want to get the most out of their time and money. The wire cutters can work with single, fine, or stranded cables from 0.2-6mm thickness (with standard insulation) without any problem at all!
You’ll be able to easily strip away your wires in no time if you have these handy tools on hand during projects – they’re worth every pennyCHECK PRICE
- Adjusts automatically to the respective cable cross-section
- Durable - Can cut cables up to 10-20 AWG
- Works well with larger gauges
- Use the precise setting you wish to strip from 22-8 AWG wires with ease
- Self-adjusting wire stripper
- Slightly pricier than other options
- Inaccurate tension for smaller gauges
Irwin Vise-Grip Wire Strippers
- Wire cutter with induction hardened cutting edge stays sharp longer
- Strips and cuts 10-22 AWG
- Pliers style nose allows wire stripper to pull and loop in wire
If you’re in the market for a budget-friendly pair of wire strippers, be sure to consider this product from Irwin. Not only are they safe and easy on your hands thanks to their self adjusters that allow them to fit 10-22 AWG wires, but these pliers also come with an induction hardened cutting edge so it’ll stay sharp longer while handling copper or aluminum wiring!
These wire cutters will provide quick and easy stripping, as well as cutting. The tool has a crimping section too- all you have to do is use the right one for your desired connection!
The bold labeling on this cutter makes it simple to identify what type of connections you are looking for; whether that be standard or metric cuts. This wire cutter also features an assisted jaw opening which helps when there’s no time in sight- get back into the game without missing a beat!
With their soft rubber grip, the Irwin self-adjusting wire strippers offer superior control and handling, allowing you to use them without your hand getting sore. The vise grips allow for a comfortable gripping experience while also providing precision cutting capabilities with minimal effort on behalf of the user.
The Irwin Vise Grip Wire Cutters are available at an affordable price point which is great for those looking to save money during tough economic times or professional electricians who work in demanding environments where they need reliable tools that don’t break easily.
If you’re looking for an affordable wire stripper, the Irwin Vise-Grip Self-Adjusting Wire Cutter is a great choice. This tool can be used on any size of cable or cord and will handle even the toughest jobs with ease – no matter what your budget may be!CHECK PRICE
- Self-adjusting Wire Stripping Tool
- Affordable Price
- Has a 10-22 AWG selection dial adjuster
- Can be used for cutting, crimping, and stripping
- Crimps insulated and non-insulated terminals
- Have to pull the levers open after usage
- Doesn’t work well with larger wires
Stanley Wire Strippers
- Handle lock for safely storing in tool belts or tool boxes
- Spring return provides smooth and consistent operation
- Powder coated finish which provides rust and corrosion resistance
In the DIY world, you can’t have too many wire strippers. The Stanley Wire Stripper is a standard cutter that’s good for basic stripping and cutting tasks with sizes ranging from 10-20 AWG wires. With its reliable spring return, it provides consistent and smooth operation – not to mention being safer than using a pair of pliers!
For those who want an extra bit of corrosion protection in their toolbox or on their belt loop, this model offers some added powder coating; just be careful since these blades are tough enough to cut metal if used improperly. This would make an excellent addition to your collection whether as one more set (or another design) or even replacing something old.
The Stanley Wire Cutters might be a great choice for you if you’re looking to do some heavy-duty cutting work. The utility knife is the perfect tool for stripping wires and peeling back cable jackets, and it even has an integrated wire stripper that’ll keep your hands safe while doing tricky jobs around exposed power cables or electronics equipment.
But one of the downsides isn’t just its construction: because these are not spring-loaded pliers they can make life difficult when trying to perform finer tasks like crimping contacts onto copper wiring–going with something else would save time in this instance!CHECK PRICE
- Handle lock helps with safely storing in tool boxes or tool belts
- Spring return provides consistent and smooth operation
- Powdered rust which gives corrosion resistance
- Weak copper wire stripper
- Bad wire cutter for 10-22 AWG wire
- Doesn’t strip wires as easily as we’d like
Milwaukee Wire Strippers
- WIRE STRIPPING: Strip 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18 gauge bare wire. Alternatively, strip 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 gauge stranded wire
- LOOP MAKING: Two holes in the center of the unit will accept 8-32 and 6-32 wires to make loops for grounding screws
- REAMING: Smooth out your pipe edges from between 1/2 to 1 inches
Next on our list is the Milwaukee Wire Strippers. The handle spring makes it easier to close (for little hand fatigue). And the locking mechanism uses a one-handed metal latch, instead of a two-handed plastic side clip which may be difficult for children with small hands and shorter fingers.
These wire cutters can handle up to 10 gauge stranded wires and 8 gauge solid cables, plus handles have more arch that’s similar in shape as most try cable cutters so you get less force needed when cutting thicker cables.
Plus this design keeps your hands from sliding off during larger cuts or if there are multiple strands at once making these great tools not only safe but also effective with minimal effort!
When it comes to wire strippers, you can’t go wrong with Milwaukee. Their affordable set of four features plastic handles that provide a comfortable grip and work well for most stripping jobs. The only downfall is their limited adhesive on the handle which may cause them to fall off when using if they are not handled carefully.CHECK PRICE
- Great budget wire cutter
- Rust protection
- Strips wire with relative ease
- Curved cutting blade
- Forged alloy steel
- Outclassed by the Irwin vise-grip wire cutter
- Jaws don’t align with the wire cutter section
- Plastic locking clip
Greenlee Wire Strippers
- STAINLESS WIRE STRIPPER: Efficiently strips 10-18 AWG solid and 12-20 AWG stranded conductors to create precision ground stripping holes for easy, consistent jacket removal
- SHEARS AND CRIMPS: Cleanly shears 6-32 and 8-32 bolts and crimps 16-10 insulated and non-insulated terminals for a superior performance every time
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: High-grade stainless steel construction withstands heavy-duty use on the jobsite to last 5 times longer for years of quality use
Greenlee Wire Strippers are a good way to keep your wire stripper needs in check. This is because the Greenlee has multiple functions such as stripping, plier nose, bolt threading/shearing, and loopholes that you can use when working on different projects at home or around town.
It also offers great durability with its cutlery grade stainless steel while still offering comfort for hands thanks to it’s rubberized handles that tend not be fall off easily even during rigorous work conditions like those found on construction sites
The blades on these wire cutters are quite sharp, so make sure to take extra care when you’re stripping wire. You don’t want a nasty accident while your hands get all bloody and gross!
I like that the Greenlee Wire Cutters come with replaceable parts in case something gets damaged during use – it’s nice not having to worry about being left high-and-dry if one of those pieces breaks off from heavy-duty work out in the field.CHECK PRICE
- Precision Ground Stripping holes
- Durable stainless steel design
- Serrated nose and looping holes for bending
- Low lock profile for fast and repetitive cutting
- Weak rubber handles
- Poor insulation removal
- Outclassed by Klein Tools Wire Stripper